Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Gold

I had to be in Pasadena at 7:30. Lucky for me, I could take the Metro. How easy was it? Simple. I walked up the street to the Red Line. The train showed up within minutes. I got to Union Station and the Gold Line showed up within two minutes. The Gold Line is particularly enjoyable. My favorite bit is after Chinatown. The train picks up huge speed along the Corn Field (that park just north of downtown) and then goes over the Los Angeles River. It’s pretty dramatic.

To be able to go to Pasadena and to read the paper, relax and not look at the rear end of an S.U.V. is my idea of a vacation.

The trains were pretty full. I wish they were packed.

See the map below. The transit lines are growing. For those who do not live in LA...we also have these funky busways that operate like trains in that they are completely dedicated rights-of-way that do not ride in surface traffic. The only thing is, it’s a bus on a magic road. I have not yet been on the Orange Line out to Woodland Hills. I don’t know what’s stopping me. Could it be I have an aversion to office parks and Islands Restaurants?

Take public transportation in LA. It’s fun. It takes longer, sure. But it’s better for you.


Los Angeles MTA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long did it take?

Don Cummings said...

Including the 25 minute walk from my house to the red line: 1 hour, 30 minutes.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

MTA... Goin your way...