Thursday, March 15, 2007

War

The Free Market. Sure.

But what I can’t stand any longer is the War of Programs gong on in today’s computers.

Google, Yahoo, Apple and Windows are all battling with each other. Yahoo’s home page looks like crap on an iMac. Google’s Blogger templates don’t always work well in Window’s Internet Explorer. Universal file sharing, while pretty good, is awful when it comes to music.

On and On.

Now, I know I am merely jejune when I proffer, “Why can’t we all get along and just make things work seamlessly!” in this world where competition truly is king and admittedly does foster new ideas and services. But all this innovation and slugging-it-out is ugly when I’m on the latest, sexiest Apple at the office and suddenly I have a tiny little field in an online log-in page and I can barely read the squeezed letters because Apple hates Microsoft’s Web Browser.

Personal computers really do feel personal. But corporations run the suckers, no doubt. And these corporations battle it right in our homes. And we feel it.

Blech.

2 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

This is why there are only young computer programmers. No one can stand it for long.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I've noticed more and more that certain webpages opened with Firefox are freezing my computer...

Hm.

This could be part of the plot you're describing!