Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Godson on Earth

I have never written a blog entry about my Godson. My nephew. And today (well, yesterday now) he turned 21.

Not having children has not helped me with my time distortions. But having a nephew does help a little. Plus, it is pretty great to watch someone grow up. The changes are huge. It’s interesting. And it is family so it is positive.

I remember when Dan was born. I was there that day. Then, oddly, I went on a job---a theater tour of The Wizard of Oz and I was the Tin Man, truly, in search of my heart. We were not allowed to leave the tour---but I broke the rule and jumped on a plane in North Carolina back to New Jersey for the Christening and was back on tour in my silver make-up, not missing anything.

I am not religious, but it is nice to know that there are little rituals we do at different times of life. (Though they really might as well save Penance for the day before you die.)

I have thought, lately, that some sort of religious conversion is essential or all I am ever going to do is try to become more successful and then just keep buying stuff. But I hate the lack of humor of religion.

Judaism seems to have the most humor because at least they have the tradition of arguing a point---and seeing both sides of something often leads to laughs. But that particular religion just seems so old to me, something that might as well be released.

Every Western Buddhist I have ever met has been annoyingly righteous.

Catholics are often easy going mostly because most of them are lapsed. But real Catholicism is fetishy and conservative and is close to sacrilegious in its practice.

Protestants, all of them, are insane. The culture believes in perfectibility and so they are cut off from their true natures. Drives monkeys mad.

Islam. Forget it.

Have I offended everyone yet?

But I do believe in this Godfather thing. If nothing else, it gives childless uncles some sort of son. And it is warm. I guess it is Catholic warm. But really, it’s life warm.

Why don’t they just make up a religion that includes the bare bones essentials and just call it life?

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Happy Bday to him!