Monday, March 14, 2011

Nuclear Fallout and You

Luckily, you live nowhere near the mess of Japan. I assume.

Simple Question: Why are nuclear power plants built anywhere near where people live?

Of course, George Will would say, “Too bad, the market chose for it and the poor people who are not rich enough to not live there, well, they are collateral damage to cheap efficient energy.”

Then I would say, “George, are you still talking?”

Next simple question: If you have a way to make energy whose spent rods are completely lethal---why are you making that kind of energy?

I always want to find a place in my heart to sort of love nuclear energy---not just because whenever you go to France the air is so damn clean---but also because, hell, it can be done. It’s like little suns encased in steel and cement. It still is so damn futuristic in a way. But then I come to the wasted rods…and I think, “This is insane.”

I have driven by Three-Mile-Island many times and the reactors on the edge of California, too. They seem so peaceful, right?

Volatile world.

But you still have to leave your house.

Poor Japan. All that footage of the ocean coming in.

You are not in control. Love everyone. If you can.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

When I was in college a professor told me the best safety plan in the world for nuclear reactors: make the children and grandchildren of the people who own the reactor go to school on the premises.