Thursday, December 14, 2006

Disney Hall--A Treat

Finally, we went to Disney Hall.

That Gehry is a true genius. The place is beautiful.

The front display pipes of the organ are at crazy angles. They look like huge cartoon tube worms.

The acoustics are so amazing that someone rustling his program from ten seats over and three rows down, sounded like he was right next to me. Spooky, really.

I have never been inside a room with this kind of sound. I loved it. Hearing such clear tones gave me that incredible brain clarity that fast, intricate music can give you. Lines you all up. You feel so smart, like you just ate two tunas.

The organ concert was Christmas and populist. At times silly and at times pretty great. I preferred the more modern, brave, dissonant pieces. A strange new introduction to Joy to the World by Craig Phillips and a funky variation on the eighteenth century French Noel by Dupre were my favorites. I really need to go back and hear a concert of Hungarian Twentieth Century composers. I love the modern Easterns.

Though not an amazing night of music, the beauty of the organ and of the concert hall---in soft wood and curving lines everywhere and the entire building---it was so worth the traffic snarl to get there. (If I had time, I would have taken the red line to Pershing Square.)

And the outside of the curvy, wavy nutty thing, way up high, has an aerial walkway between the curves. It’s like walking through a titanium cavern with occasional openings and wonderful views in the middle of Los Angeles.

I have never been in any building like this. I have never heard sounds like I heard sound inside this.

That wife-of-a-mouse-man really did something amazing. And soon---they're building an entire new downtown below it. Let's see how that turns out.



5 comments:

Dan said...

The first time I went I thought the sound was incredible too. And then I went back thinking, "well, maybe it's just hype, maybe I was making too much of it." But then at the first note I surprised to find it more incredible than I remembered.

What I found it akin to was the sound you get when you are standing in front of a busker violinist at a quiet subway station but instead it's a whole orchestra in front of you.

Everyone with one good ear needs to visit. Don't wait for tickets to a famous conductor on a Saturday night, just get yourself to a matinee.

Don Cummings said...

Dan---it truly was a great experience...we should all go again soon! Something very modern, please. Don

Anonymous said...

The acoustics are so good I even liked the first show I saw there: Arlo Guthrie doing Woody's unrecorded songs with a Klezmer band.

the last noel said...

It really is an amazing place. I'd snuck inside, but hadn't experienced a concert yet.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I'd never heard of this place...