Friday, February 09, 2007

Pariscrastination

I suffer from a certain mild autism. I can listen to the same song over again for three hours while I am writing...even longer.

My favorite television station is The Weather Channel.

And next week I’m going to Paris. I’ve lived there. I’ve been there many times. I’m only going for four nights. I know the city very well. Yet I cannot stop reading guide books.

And I love the metro map.

Could it be that I am procrastinating finishing my television pilot?

Paradigm, big Hollywood agency, has graciously taken me on as a writer and they are working closely with me as I write an original television pilot for them to sell or to use as a sample to get me working on an existing television show. This means I get a lot of notes. And as soon as I say “no” to the notes, the game is over. So, as I want to be in the game---because I’m old and this is my biggest prospect—I keep saying “yes.”

I’m sucking it up. And actually, I think the script does get better with their notes. I mean-why the hell not?

But I take off a lot of time while writing to look at guide books. And web sites.

And the map. The beautiful, lovely, you got it---Paris Metro Map.

Paris Metro

2 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

When I'm painting, I listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons over and over. Have for months. I have a recording that has nature sounds dubbed over each movement. The spring allegro has a brook bubbling. The winter largo has a cold wind. I go right into the zone. But it's still a struggle to stay focused. There's always Don's blog to distract me.... I don't think I have autism. I think I have ADD.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

A friend of mine's therapist tells him he has a Procrastination Disorder.

A kid in school who is always fighting has "Oppositional Defiance Disorder"...

Why not Paris Metro Map disorder...?

I'm sure your script will be wonderful when you are done with it!