Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I've Stopped Reading the Newspaper & Atonement

I’ve been very busy and I’ve stopped reading the newspaper. I had to.

I do not miss the news.

I do miss reading. When I am in normal work mode, I read two or three hours every day. Lately, I’ve only read emails.

Articles are better than emails. Books are often even better.

I need to get back to my reading.

On the short list is The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Short movie review: Atonement. Don’t go see it. If you liked The English Patient, like I didn’t, then you might like this snore fest. If you love beautiful cinematography but don’t mind hearing the words, “Come back to me” repeated over and over, go see it. However, if you have something else more pressing to do, like say, checking the pharmaceuticals in your medicine cabinet for expired pills, then I’d say, do that. I was Out of Africa bored with this one. The stagnant shots of people standing in front of graphic framing was laughable. Filmmakers. Poor dears. Imagine, if you will, a sweater that is all about yarn and not about shape.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I didn't love the English Patient either. You and me and Elaine from Seinfeld.

the last noel said...

thanks for the heads-up. I was iffy on this one.