Friday, July 18, 2008

Airwaves over New England

An old high school friend contacted me. He's a dj on a bunch of radio stations in the northeast….

So, I get a call to be on his show--as the talking guest on the phone (for about an hour and a half duration, with breaks). It was an classic pop-rock music show and he just kept egging me on to promote I’m Really Different (Now) among other things---like writing, performing, etc. On the air, I mentioned something about me being a bit of a creative platypus. I have always felt the best time to discuss monotremes is during evening broadcasts when people are feeling misty and romantic under the pink and purple clouds and less judgmental toward extreme evolutionary tricks.

So—all of central Massachusetts (notably-Worcester) and southern Vermont and New Hampshire—know about what I’ve been up to for the past thirty years. And, if they decide to come to LA for a little vacation (which the host kept talking as if such a thing was possible for his audience), they very well could choose to come see the Largo show, which I plugged at least seven times. I was actually spelling out Largo during the interview. L A R G O- which I don’t think was too “talking down to the listeners," being that that part of the world is mostly known for mill closures.

Before the interview began and then while talking, I discovered a divergence within my vain self:

1)I hated the idea of having to do a radio interview because I’ve never done one before. I got cranky about it. I was insecure. I yelled at Adam five minutes beforehand, “Stop clanking around that kitchen. You KNOW I have a radio interview coming up!” I really resented the idea of doing it.

2) Once on the air, I found talking about myself to be quite a pleasant experience, one I plan to repeat often. It’s also great that one can doodle and surf the internet during commercial and song breaks.

How strange to talk on your phone at home and be beamed all around central New England. And this is such old technology. Imagine how surprising it will seem to me when I'm broadcasting from up in the space station--

Come to LA, Worcester! We’re waiting for you!

Yours in all media,

Don

2 comments:

Noel Alumit said...

You strike me as a radio guy, what with your gift of gab. I see more radio show in your futre--maybe even a host!

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Sounds like great stuff! I LOVE radio... You'd be a natch. Good, interesting speaking voice, too...