Wednesday, April 06, 2011

I'm No Friend Of Killers, But...

I am online, reading the article about the stay of execution for Cleve Foster. Sounds like the stay is for lots of small technical reasons. But what about the big reason? What the hell are you doing killing people?

I guess I am a fundamentalist. I do not see any reason for intellectual debate about the death penalty. And even if you have the debate—mostly about cash---the truth is it is cheaper to keep these death row people alive than it is to pay for all those appeals. But I digress from my original stance. I am a fundamentalist. I simply do not understand how we can have capital punishment. It is so fucking barbarian.

No matter how you slice it, there are people who kill people. Somehow, in a war, it is justified. Don’t get that one either. But the people who kill other people in civilian life, whether premeditated for cash, in a fit of jealous rage or just because that person likes to kill for pleasure, well, there is just something profoundly wrong with that kind of person.

We can put them on trial, sure. Throw them in jail forever, certainly. But is it not clear that a killer is someone who, in addition to committing the most heinous crime there is, is also completely wacked? And then you just go and kill that someone?

I fundamentally oppose it. And I am starting to question abortion, too---but I’m not touching that uterine third rail. But if I were to dig in, I would say—give the unwanted babies to The Bible Belt, all of them. And to all the people who cannot have children---so we can stop this insane in-vitro-with-old-eggs that I am certain is leading to all these designer-damaged kids.

And now, hate me.

2 comments:

Kristi Pickrell said...

I couldn't have said it better myself........I don't hate you......I bow down to you!!!!

Kristi Pickrell said...

stupid facebook said it wouldn't post to my profile.....said it was too inappropriate......time to write a letter to Mr. Z re: our freedom of speech!