Monday, April 11, 2011

The Time Has Come

The time has come. I have run through my monthly twenty free articles online for The New York Times. If I want to continue, I have to pay for a subscription. It would be valid for our two computers and our two phones. But still, do I want to? Will I do it? Should I do it? I think I will do it.

This is why. As much as I have tried to ignore the fact, sort of, the truth is money is what we use to trade for things. The market bears stuff. And we pay it. This is how it works. I am sick of trying to reinvent wheels. My damn ankle hair is gray. I would like The New York Times to be free. But for that, we would all end up with something equivalent to Network television: Reality shows and automobile commercials. Blech.

We used to pay for The Los Angeles Times. Over a decade ago, The Los Angeles Times was completely enjoyable with a wry tone, not to mention smart and Pulitzery. It became full-on fish wrap in this new millennium. But we kept paying because there was something nice about the daily paper. Eventually, we canceled because, well, it became unreadable.

We have been enjoying The New York Times for free for years. Isn’t it time to pay for it? If for no other reason so they can reconstitute their proofreading department and catch all those horrendous errors?

Call me persnickety, but I do not like typos in my newspaper.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I COMPLETELY and gladly pay to support the NYTimes... It's just one of those things... I still get the paper version... Eventually if I get an iPad and there's a version that is equivalent to the paper experience, I'd happily cut out the dead trees and the delivery portion... Though, I do worry about the hardworking immigrant lady with the child seat in her car that delivers them so strenuously at 6AM daily. Where will she get a job?... NYTimes is part of living... And the world goes round...