When I was four, I was stung by a bee and no one knew I was allergic. I eventually went into a shut down, couldn’t breathe and was in a coma for a while. I never exactly got over the trauma. My father said I was never the same after that.
I was stung three more times as a child and three more times I went to the hospital, but more quickly and without any greater incident than a big needle of medicine. I had this thing (and so many kids have it now with nuts, etc.) that would stop my world clock and send me racing to safety.
It made me afraid of the outdoors.
As I got older, I outgrew this allergy.
I wonder, had I not been allergic like that, had not had that early allergic coma, if I would have become more of an outdoorsman.
I love being outside.