Monday, February 02, 2015

The World, The Bar in Bucharest

Lately, I've been wondering about the world. I have never been to Asia. I have never been to South America.

Seems sort of nuts to have never been to either.

I wonder about Russia, this whole Ukrainian horrendousness...are we all about to play Chicken Kiev?

I do not understand why this ISIL/ISIS/IS group wants to maximize pain.

All I do is sit in front of an iMac and type stuff. Hopefully, for everyone's ultimate gain and pleasure (more plays and books coming)--but really, in the face of the hell on this earth, I feel so incredibly powerless.

It is so easy to get all single-minded about things.  Like WAR IS WRONG  or LOVE IS THE ANSWER.  I mean, sure, those two things are something most of us can generally agree are useful ideas. But we still don't get it right because we still have all this horror. So taking a strong position has not really solved things, yet.

I like that we call our military DEFENSE. Sure, we attack, too---but at least we call it DEFENSE and not OFFENSE.

I wish I had a time machine. I wish I could find out, before we become extinct, if we ever figure out how to stop killing each other for territory and power and resources. Most importantly, I would like to find out how it happened, if it happens.

Like--did we just round up every person who was super aggressive and murder them? Like some sort of civil war between the non-aggressive types and the aggressive ones and magically, the non-aggressors won?

Unlikely.

Or--did we make war so illegal that as soon any hot spot popped up, the entire world came together and took out the aggressor, immediately.

Sounds like a hard one to do. Like, how do you know who the aggressor is if it's a Hatfield and McCoy situation.

Maybe--there was a huge revolution that required everyone to belong to only one religion that reflected or obliterated all religions? Some sort of Unitarian Universalism with a net so wide it caught everything?

Sure. With all those Orthodox and extreme sects out there? I don't know.

But maybe, and I have a feeling, maybe what happened was--people got tired of it all and they just stopped. Just like you got tired of screaming at _________ to get your way. Or you just got so tired of being unhealthy with your eating habits or being drunk every Friday night down at the rink. People got sick of the killing and the violence and the self centeredness and the self righteousness. They saw it was the road to nothing great. It was such a chore and a bore.

We can depend upon weariness. The human monkey mind likes novelty. We get bored easily. My vote is that we simply got bored with the warring part of ourselves. Just plain bored. So that's what happened.

In my time machine, I found out that the last time there was even a glimpse of war it was when some young guy stood up in a bar in Bucharest and yelled, "Let's go over that hill on the outskirts of town and kill those assholes for the way they ride their donkeys! And take their women, their land and their oil!"  And everyone else at the bar looked at him like there was something so wrong with him, that he was so unoriginal and boring, that he just sat down and made a pot holder.




No comments: