Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Am I a Tyrant?

I have been producing my play, which opens this Saturday evening. In the parlance of the theatre, I am in hell week. This is the week where absolutely everything must come together. The acting, the design elements of light, sound and set, the props and the audience. It's like throwing a party and providing the very involved entertainment.

All this in a small rental theatre in Hollywood.

The Fat of the Land Tickets and Information

And tonight, I made my director cry and I had a fight with my producing partner.

I attacked my director for being too slow with fixing problems.
I attacked my producing partner for talking to me like a servant.

In the end, I had every reason to be conerned about the behavior of the director and the producer. But ultimately, I don't like it when I get ugly.

When the wretched bile of living builds up, how does one respond gracefully?

I am not there yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're no tyrant. Being highly organized and goal oriented requires that the air be cleared occasionally. Especially when others are relied upon.

When the schedule gets tight, grace might not be the best approach.

"Break A Leg"? I hope that wishes you a successful run.

Rebecca Waring said...

Sounds like Hell week. I can recall more than once getting myself chewed a new asshole during Hell week. Goes with the territory. I'm sure it will all be okay and you'll love each other when the play is a smash.

Anonymous said...

I make a pledge every day that when I have something to say to someone that it is at all critical that I can say it with kindness...

It's a constant struggle... but it works whenever I can do it...