Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Bushy and Me: Growing up Together

A man eventually faces his solitude.

This Bush guy is facing his.

(My only comment on his State of the Union Speech is: “With that horrific Dick Cheney sitting behind you sending out unctuous waves of greed, how can you be in such denial that this war has been nothing more than a bloody grab for oil money?”)

But then, we all have our delusions.

As one gets older, one may or may not hold fast to one’s convictions when surrounded by the scrum of disapproval.

The questions arrive. “Do I stick with what I want? Do I pay attention to what others want? Do I do what others want while quietly holding onto opposite convictions? Do I change my desires to match the needs of others? Am I right? Am I wrong? Do I know what I am doing?”

And you stand there, perhaps able to answer a few of those questions but certainly not all of them. This not knowing, no matter what your swagger, forces you to face your limited mortal being, your unique separateness.

1 comment:

Rebecca Waring said...

I can't watch him. Really just can't bring myself to see his mouth move. But I have a such woody for Patrick Fitzgerald. I think this Libby trial is just the beginning of everything starting to unravel.