Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Words, Philosophers, Mythology

I am curious. Beyond that, I am compulsive. Lastly, my memory is good for the basic underpinning of anything, but not the exact fact. Eg. Hume is in the empirical camp of philosophers--which is not quite right. He was a skeptic, influenced by Locke and Berkeley, who were empiricists.

Desultory means random, not quite connected. I often think it means half-assed.

Avuncular means uncle-like. I often think it means “cheery”.

The ancient Gods: Odin, Norse. Jupiter: Roman? Zeus—Je pense Grecque.

One wants to know. And which plays did Euripides write? Which ones were written by Aeschylus? And how about Sophocles? I think Sophocles wrote the Oedipus ones. Yes, that is true.

I read most of them. I forget them, for the most part.

Avatar? Acolyte?

Yes, I finally know the meanings of these words.

But meretricious? Is that something good or bad? I say bad. In fact, it means something sort of whorey, showy.

I do not know much about the history of China.

And I know very little about the Bible. Though I could name the twelve apostles, most likely.

It seems so essential to know things. Especially now. In this day of information.

And though I just took a break from writing this blog to read about Greek playwrights in the Wikipedia, I know that it will be hard to remember it all. Not that I want to impress...but I do want a grasp. To know where we fit now. To be in the river of time-ideas.

I would like to commit to harboring greater exact knowledge, while resisting becoming an annoyance. Why we want this, or why certain people want to fill their heads with these kinds of things, I do not know.

In the end...I want these things to make me feel alive...I do not want the dry facts to dry me out.

Maybe I should sing in a field instead.

3 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rebecca Waring said...

This is quite a thought-provoking blog, Don! I find as I get older, I'm not only more interested in this kind of classical knowledge, it's the only thing that seems to matter. I think it leads to enlightenment, not pedantry. It's like the night MLK was assassinated and Robert Kennedy stood in Indianapolis and quoted Aeschylus from memory:

“In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.”

And while riots spread though the country and cities burned, it was peaceful in Indianapolis that night.

Anonymous said...

maybe you could go on jeapordy!