Monday, May 21, 2007

The Play's the Thing

The problem with plays that involve audience participation is the audience. A few meek men with small appeal become emboldened by their new found vocal power in public and they dominate the evening with their clever ravings. They do not take into consideration that they’ve had their turn. As the night wears on, their outbursts become increasingly more stupid at grand frequencies. The annoying honking deafens sensible theatre goers. The ignorant and greasy self appointed court jesters bleat their poor suggestions and odd non sequiturs to such great distraction, that one wishes for a bomb scare. These men lack wit. They darken the evening. They sadden the future.

By the end of the night, one does not remember the show. One only remembers the howling of the weirdos.

So, I promise myself, “Never Again!” And I start my life anew.

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yeah, unless you are doing Stand-Up and you have the chance to beat them at their game... And then the audience remembers how clever YOU were to beat the losers... But even in Stand-Up, it's tiresome sometimes...

the last noel said...

You know, I've done audience participation in my shows. I usually have to have a plant in the audience to get anyone to do anything.