Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Youth

My nephew and his girlfriend are visiting ancient Uncle Donald this week. My nephew, Daniel, is looking at UCLA as a possible college choice. The kids are hanging out in LA, shopping, going to the beach. It’s perfectly enjoyable to have them as company.

What is so interesting about these kids (and I’d like to say all kids, but I can only talk about these kids) is how bright and informed they are. My nephew is also extremely affable and well behaved. Top of his class type. And driven, in a practical way. Easy, breezy, fun and a good eater!

But these kids (and now I do talk about all kids) are so YouTube and daily feel the oppressive lens of the Digicam, I feel bad for them. It’s like, they’re so afraid to be spontaneous because they may appear foolish. Something about having the whole world watching you, online, can really diminish the being-in-the-moment the Buddha has offered. I wonder what it means for them as future adults. What is so interesting is not only does everything change with each generation, but really, EVERYTHING. Sure, the biology is the same, but the manifestation is completely controlled by popular culture and technology.

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

"Why can't they be like we were?
Perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids today?"
-- Bye Bye Birdie

the last noel said...

I think its a conspiracy to gear them toward a world where Big Brother is the norm.