Friday, April 11, 2008

Figs

 


As Adam, my Recognized-by-the-State-of-California-Domestic-Partner, and I were walking down the street to go to our friend Jeff's house to play Carcassonne, we ran into a fig tree. It was planted in the strip of grass, often called the parkway, which I think is inferior to simply calling it what it is, a strip of grass, between the sidewalk and the street.

Beautiful night. So I snapped with the camera phone. Adam and I yacked along as we walked down the street. He had lunch with someone today who left Los Angeles years ago but has returned, temporarily. She said, "When I left Los Angeles, I never gave it a thought. In fact, there was really nothing about it that I liked. But when I came back here in January, I fell right back into the reason why it's great, and it's really the only reason--the weather."

Of course, the weather is not the only thing that is good about L.A. But it is the best thing about it.

Figs, lemons, oranges and avocados grow all over the city. There are flowers all year around. The Pacific Ocean keeps a steady, moist current in the air most of the year. During the day, it averages all year long about 72 degrees. It's ridiculous.

I have a friend in New York who has lived there most of her adult life. She does not like Los Angeles. I tell her how much I love the weather. She responds, "You can't live somewhere for the weather." But you can.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

When I lived in LA I had a headache for 5 years. The smog. There were NO pedestrians on the sidewalks anywhere except Santa Monica. Having moved there from NYC, I would walk to the Ralph's 2 blocks away. But cars used to keep stopping and offering me money for a blow job. No one could believe that anyone other than a hooker would actually walk down the sidewalk. That was 20 years ago. I think it's better now.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I like weather changes... and I love Winter. I could easily move to Alaska if there were anything to do there....