Friday, July 01, 2005

Happy Independence Day


*50

We saw March of the Penguins.

First of all, it’s quite something. The cinematography is, you know, amazing. And how often do you get to see Antarctica? Plus, these penguins are so silly and beautiful all at once. At times you cry. At times you laugh. At times you wish Morgan Freeman didn’t have to say some of the stupid things he had to say.

But what amazes me is I was going to go on and on about how obvious it is that Intelligent Design is not even remotely possible...based on the penguin alone. No intelligent anything invented this beast. With its reptilian feet, the weird way the mother has to transfer her egg to the father and how if the egg touches the ground for more than a few seconds all is lost, the months on end that both sexes don’t eat because of the mating schedule, the penguins puking up their eaten food for the cute little babies to eat, all in a crazy locale—this is one animal that was made by mistake, for sure, as Antarctica evolved from a tropical paradise to a frostbitten torture rack.

But my point is, why in the world would I even think that I would have to defend Evolution at all?

Who the hell am I preaching too?

I look forward to the day when the idea of refuting Intelligent Design won’t even cross my mind.

Happy Independence Day Weekend.

I will be spending it pretending I don’t live in this country.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I saw previews of this on an IMAX screen here in NY and it looked amazing.

I always cry at these kinds of movies.