Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Let Them Eat Coppola

I don’t know. I was just kind of bored. I have no idea how much the director stuck by the book since I did not read it. However, being true to a book does not necessarily make the best movie.

The 1980’s music. One does wonder why. It did not hurt it. But at times, I did feel like I was watching an Annie Lennox video. Waiting for someone to go walking on broken glass.

Kirsten, lovely enough.
Schwartzman, kind of hilarious.

All those court ladies, tart and witty.

The vanity, terrifying.

The little doggies were very cute.

The costumes, clearly, were made for this movie. They were not rentals. I can only imagine what percentage of the budget went into their realization.

I have been to Versailles a few times. It really was a bad idea to leave Paris for such a locale. This really helped put the royalty out of touch, being at such a remove. Location, location, location, again, shows its supremacy.

The most intriguing thing to me about the movie? What form of energy did they use to make the fountains work in the Versailles gardens?

No comments: