Thursday, May 08, 2008

Local Earth News

*My car passed inspection today. I brought the ancient beast to a place that fixed my catalytic converter and I passed. Of course, I have no idea if the catalytic converter was actually fixed. My car was put up on a lift. Two mechanics poked around and there was some action with an acetylene torch. I did not notice if something was replaced. I almost never drive.

*Tonight was our book club. The look on the face of each member as they regarded Louise was more telling than my intuition about how much my dog has declined. Everyone sees the life force has mightily left her. I still see my loving, fabulous pooch. Denial takes a while.

*An ordinance was finally passed in Los Angeles, so now houses cannot be built that are more than half the square footage of a piece of property plus an extra four hundred square feet for a garage. So, in my case, I could build a 2500 square foot home with a 400 square foot car area. Too bad this law did not come into effect sooner. A house the size of Tucson is replacing the cute bungalow directly across the street. It is three stories high with a roof that slopes in one direction. It has the design feel of an asymmetrical eighties haircut. Behind it is a three story garage with a ridiculous rooftop deck covered with orange umbrellas. It’s an architectural horror movie. Do they really need to raise their two children in two huge buildings with a total of six floors? On a lot that was originally meant for a two bedroom bungalow? I shudder. More than outraged, I am disgusted and sad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there is so much in our culture that adds up to nothing that people think if they have a luxurious house they will at least have something, and feel like Somebody. Mother/Judith

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I have no doubt that your neighbors are Republicans!