Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Corio's This is Burlesque

Next time you are planning a trip to Soho, make plans to see Corio’s This is Burlesque.

I had never seen a Burlesque show before. A friend of mine had always wanted to go and I’m certainly game…so on Saturday night we walked over (with prepurchased seats, very important. It does get sold out).

It was hilarious. And extremely well done. First of all, these women really are dancers. The near nudity at the end of each number is really no big deal. In fact, the whole thing seemed more innocent than most commercial movies. Some of it was absolutely hilarious. There was a fan dance number with a lot of contortions by the dancer, while being supported by a man in a monkey outfit, the “Evil hate monkey.” The strength of the monkey and the supple moves of the fan dancer made me just as proud of our species as witnessing any Olympic event.

There was tap dancing.

Joyful tap dancing.

In general, a great celebration of glittery outfits and the complete fun fun fun of being almost naked dancing around the stage, with a theme. I am sure it was titillating for some. But for me it was mostly fun, affirming and let’s face it, recession proof.

I also liked how it came off with just seven performers, had a low vibe lesbian tone and remained light hearted throughout.

Check it out. 25 bucks with a two drink minimum. You can also have dinner there. The food looked good.

2 comments:

John B said...

Don -

This is a great summary of a great show. I'm afraid I want to go again as soon as possible.

:)

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I never hears of this... Sounds fascinating... Someone should produce an All-Male version??