Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Boredom

I knew the slog that it was going to be, but did two-thirds of the movie have to be in sepia tone?

The most exciting thing was watching Brad Pitt grow younger and more beautiful with each grinding hour.

I must say by the end of the movie, when Benjamin becomes a kid and is going to die, I was overcome with great sadness. It is another take on the pondering dolorousness that life is a trajectory toward death and that all things are impermanent and perhaps even fated. But pointed up is that the natural order of aging is actually no so tragic, that enduring the isolation of reverse aging, becoming a confused child and then dying in your old wife’s arms, as another alternative encompasses much greater sadness. So, cheer up, things could be worse. One must live life on its own terms. Maybe not joyously, but certainly without freaking out too much about it.

It was an etude. A forever etude.

The acting was simply fine by everyone. No complaints. The directing, heavy handed.

I always want to think great things about Brad Pitt. First of all, I have written checks for him through a Japanese commercial company I work for and so I have this one degree of separation thing going on, though I have never met him, and so feel like we’re “Working in the same office”. Secondly, he really spends enormous amounts of money to help other people. And lastly, I have about eight pairs of his leftover Edwin jeans from a commercial shoot and I am very grateful to own such fancy pants. So a soft spot to the Pittster is in me.

But this movie--It was like watching paint dry.

No, it was like watching dry paint slowly get wetter and wetter.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I still love my pair of Brad Pitt jeans. Thanks again. They are stylish and make for a great story at the office. Work on a Tom Cruise shirt if you can.

I can't wait until I see that movie on DVD. I love falling asleep early.