Sunday, April 11, 2010

Those Counties Up There

Funny, you get in the car, you drive upstate to check out a bunch of cute towns and you come back and you think, “So what is this second home thing?”

I imagine myself sitting in a redone old house, obsessing on book cases and rugs. Managing Netflix becomes more difficult. And then, clichés be damned---there’s the roof. Always the roof.

I don’t know.

And Dutchess and Columbia Counties ain’t no Napa and Sonoma. Not even close.

Will tool around Litchfield County…but have been there before. Nice houses, an inn or two, nothing else.

Trees. It’s all about the trees. And the kettle ponds. And the brooks. But to go sit there?

6 comments:

Madee said...

Don,
These are my thoughts exactly about country houses.
It is a quandry.
Although Litchfield county is beautiful. And kettle ponds are nice.
And there's always the garden and the composting....

:)
Martha

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I'm a city guy. And except for a few romantic notions and memories, I don't miss the headaches of home ownership. "Keep it simple" or so they say... But, people are different, and I'm sure you'll find the perfect place for you!!!...

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about Great Barrington? Mother/Judith

Don Cummings said...

Judith, yes, we have thought of Great Barrington. But I think this going between country and city could become just another reason to buy crap and spend your life packing! We'll see. So nascent. So, who knows what. And Todd, yes, keep it simple.

Rebecca Waring said...

I think Baltimore would make a lovely country home for someone from NY. This one backs up to a lovely park :)

http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-ROLAND+PARK-BALTIMORE-MD-MRIS-BA7264207

Don Cummings said...

Rebecca---that is a cute house.