Sunday, March 28, 2010

Feeling Time

Lately, I am experiencing time differently. It goes by so quickly, it is hard to imagine that a day is a full day. It feels like fifteen minutes.

When I drove from New York to Boston last week and back, each leg felt like a few minutes.

Your powers of concentration increase as you get older, it seems. Perhaps what makes time seem so interminable when you are young is that you are so bored. And perhaps you are so bored because you have so little control over what you choose to put your attention on.

As an adult, you pretty much choose what you are doing which makes for a deeper form of engagement. Then, of course, time flies.

I think it is wonderful, but I would love to be bored for a few days, truly bored, and feel time crawl at a snail’s pace. I probably should do it in Costa Rica or Iceland. But then, I would get so involved, it would fly by.

So, maybe Lawrence, Kansas is the thing to do. A Motel 6 with a Denny’s nearby.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I read a theory once... It sez that the day or week or month is now such a smaller percentage of your entire lifespan to date... In other words: When you're 6 years old, summer vacation seems to last FORever... As an adult, Summer Vacation seems to fly by... Whoosh... So a day becomes an instant, the older we get... Makes sense to me...