Monday, March 15, 2010

Really?

There is a quote, and I will have to paraphrase. It was something Jackie Coogan said after he was cast as Uncle Fester on The Adam's Family. For those who do not know, Jackie Coogan was a child star in the 20's. He had the largest box office draw of the era. Anyway, he was that, and then later on, he was cast as Uncle Fester. And when he got the role, in a state of shamed exasperation he said, "I was the most beautiful child in America. Now, I'm a hideous monster."

I brought this up to Adam, because you know how you get when you're in your forties and you're just feeling fucking puffy-- and he said, "Well, you weren't the cutest child but you also aren't a hideous monster."

Oh, to be in the middle, surrounded by sane people...

And at almost five years old, I could guess my future and all I could say was, "Really?"

 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could you have been the cutest child? Adam was. =)

Mother/Judith

Rebecca Waring said...

Awwwwww!!!!

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Somebody should sell T-shirts: "I was the most beautiful child in America. Now, I'm a hideous monster."