Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Anything Goes

For my birthday we went to see ANYTHING GOES. With Sutton Foster.

Look, I’m a big Sutton fan. Not many people can do what she can do---and with such ease.

I’m all for her.

The show is so silly and dated and I wonder how these kinds of things are still in our culture. But who am I to ask?

Big dance numbers, all that. This New York is loaded with crazy ass musical theater talent. And gay men in sailor suits dancing around pretending to be hot for pussy. But hell---we go with the convention.

I say dispense with the creaky old stories and just do full on musical theater stuff. Why not? Who’s writing the new musicals with dancing that’s not a throw-back but some sort of new, vital thing? Anyone? And it’s fun?

But back to Cole Porter. Look---that closeted so-and-so could really write a song. The syncopation. The swinging tight chords. So worth it. Even sitting through silly bits that were tiresome in the first act, it was worth it.

I say go for it. It isn’t perfect. But what is? My ass? No.

Start spreading the news---New York, New York…

Get on the boat.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Sounds like a great big puffy birthday cake!! Weeee.