Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquakes and Elevators

From my time calculation, I think I was in the elevator of my building when the earthquake hit today. I didn’t feel a thing.

Earthquakes are funny beasts. You only feel them in certain places. Location, type of structure, your own movement, all of it matters in the perception department.

I don’t mind earthquakes. Was in the huge Northridge Quake of ’94. That was a horror movie.

But I am glad I did not feel today’s East Coast Quake. One of the things I like about the East is the idea that the ground is super solid. It’s nice to not have been disabused of this false notion.

Quakes. The earth does what it does.

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yeah I missed it too...

Tandava (Carol Henning) said...

I was sitting in my cubicle talking to my friend when suddenly the building went bouncy-bouncy-bouncy! A little alarming, but mostly fun.