Tuesday, August 16, 2005

August 16, 1974

I swam at Devils Ditch and I swam at a swimming whole in hillburn. All Sally’s friends came over tonight. They ate everything. Well I’m going to sleep now. Well Goodnight.


At the end of my street where I grew up was the Ramapo River. A bit polluted, but we swam in it anyway. Six blocks south of my street, downriver and over the state line into New Jersey was Devils Ditch, our swimming hole. It was actually a very deep spot in the river and it had a rope swing. I spent many days there with my friends swimming, making fires, even camping.

I can barely remember the swimming hole in Hillburn, a couple miles upstream, though I think it was more of a rocky ledge near a turn in the Ramapo River with a gravel island not far from the river bank. The space between the ledge and the island was the swimming hole. I think I was only ever there this one time. What I most remember about it was the time of day. Early Evening. It was secluded and had a bit of the open nature idyll to it. I remember always feeling embarrassed that I liked the feel of things more than the activity of the event.

Sally is my sister. I have no idea what her friends ate.

No comments: