Thursday, August 25, 2005

Whatever happened to

Anthrax?

Everyone still talks about where they were when the twin towers were destroyed. But does anyone ever talk about Anthrax? Never.

What is your memory of Anthrax?

Mine was quite funny and said a lot more about the Americans I was dealing with than the Anthrax that I knew was never destined for any mailbox I'd ever be near.

I was working for a very rich guy in Pacific Palisades. Guess how he dealt with the Anthrax scare? He had me open ALL his mail.

This was not long after he realized something earth shattering and with a wild-eyed fear said to me, "I guess it doesn't matter how much money you have. You can't guarantee you'll be safe from terrorists." He seemed truly dejected because he could not buy his way into absolute safety.

Having me open his possibly Anthraxed mail was quite insulting, but there was a certain event that was even more down putting that finally forced me to quit working for this entitled American person. It was his new fiancé. She made smoothies for everyone (herself, him and a kid) and at the bottom of the blender was a tiny bit left and she asked me, "Do you want the rest?" And I said, "Sure."
And there they stood...the three rich people with full glasses of smoothie and me with an inch. I decided that day I would quit. And I did.

Anthrax was the tip of the insulting iceberg. But I knew there was no real threat. But bitch, don't diss me with your smoothie.


2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I prefer postcards. Pretty much anthrax-proof.

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog

Rebecca Waring said...

This is amazing. I actually work in the same building that housed the Bush National Campaign Headquarters for all of 2004. I've even worked on contracts for the Department of Homeland Security. And I never got a Ready Tube! I'm going to file a complaint.