Wednesday, August 03, 2005

My Birthday August 3, 1974

My birthday

Well here I am at the house we’re renting for our vacation. It’s a nice house. It wasn’t bad weather and my diving mask works good. I didn’t try out my mit yet. I didn’t tell anyone this but this vacation sucks the moose. I wish I could have a vacation where you go to amusement parks, see different attractions, etc. But all we do when we come here is sit around and go swimming. I really do appreciate my mom and dad’s concern for me and everything. I left my pants in my locker at the clubhouse cause I was swimming. It had $4.00 in it and someone took it and replaced it with a penny. Boy was I mad. Daddy gave me $3.00 after that to make up for it. I appreciate it a lot.


We owned property in the Poconos...and we were building a house on it at the time. So we rented for the weekend in order to be able to have a vacation weekend. I remember it was actually a nice house, very close to the clubhouse.

I did not admit something in this diary entry. When I discovered that my $4.00 was stolen (birthday money from the day before), I got so upset that I started crying and couldn’t stop. I also remember my father being embarrassed that I was being such a crybaby. And, I remember when he only gave me $3.00 that it was sort of weird. Somehow, I think by withholding a dollar he was teaching me a lesson, like, I had to have a little pain to remember to not leave money in my pockets in an unlocked locker.

Obviously, too, the penny I found in my pocket was probably my penny. I cannot imagine someone taking $4.00 and then replacing it with a penny.

I remember, too, that I never liked the Poconos again after this experience. I felt that if there was a nice clubhouse, and it was actually quite nice with an indoor pool and a huge fireplace and ski lifts right outside, well, if such a nice place existed, they should not let bad kids in who would steal your money. I already had enough with bad kids. I didn’t need to deal with them at our vacation home, too. I knew I was leaving the money in my pocket when we went swimming, but I assumed it was safe because of where we were.

Also, I remember I only bought a mit because I was supposed to. It was actually blue. Remember when they made baseball mits in colors? I think I used the thing in summer camp because I had to. It was a silly mit but I was always proud to wear it. I was giving the signal to the world, “I only have this mit because I’m a boy and I have to have one. But I picked a cobalt blue one, so there.”

7 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

Sadly, I *can* imagine someone taking a little boy's $4 and leaving a penny. People used to do that to me all the time when I was a waitress. Take all the change but leave me one penny. Just for spite. Why did family vacations always suck?

Anonymous said...

I didn’t tell anyone this but this vacation sucks the moose.

Sucks the moose??!! As in Moose and Squirrel?

Don Cummings said...

No, just moose.



It was something of the era...



We just thought the word moose was funny. And sucks the moose sounded even funnier.



I remember when I was a kid in summer camp, I spent a whole day with the other kids running around using the word moose in place of every noun imaginable. And all we did was laugh.



So great to be a kid, right?

Don Cummings said...

Rebecca is my sister-in-law. Batikist, painter, humorist extraordinaire.

A blogger in her own right...
www.unlikelyplaces.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

One time I had my dirty laundry in my car--I had one class in college that day and then I was going to drive to my parents' house to do my laundry and spend the weekend. Someone broke into my car and stole all my clothes. They left a crappy pair of sunglasses on my seat--I'm supposing it was some sort of consolation.

Rebecca Waring said...

I worked at 'La Villa Taxco' which used to be at Sunset & La Brea. Circa 1980 to 1982. It sucked the moose. Not sure about the blogger status. Seemed to get blog block right outta the starting gate. But thanks, Don.

Rebecca Waring said...

Hi HelenBach/Megan! Thanks! Are you the one who went to art school in Baltimore? I love Baltimore. This is funny - we're having a conversation on Don's Blog.