Friday, January 20, 2006

The Subway and More

Not that it's anyone's business, but today I took the subway.

It was inconvenient, took almost twice as long had I used my car instead. And yet, I am still so very happy that I used the public transportation system that this city is trying to cobble together.

A very serious twenty minute walk is required to get from my house to the Red Line at Hollywood and Highland. It's a low uphill grade the whole way. The train does come with regular frequency. I took it three stops to Sunset and Vermont and then walked the ten minutes to where I was going on Hollywood Boulevard (a little music rehearsal, if anyone is asking).

After the rehearsal, I walked back to my house (3.8 miles).

I got so much exercise. I enjoyed taking public transportation instead of using my car.

Now I beg the city of Los Angeles, the State of California and the federal government: Please build monorails. La Brea, Fairfax, La Cienega, Olympic, Santa Monica Boulevard, Venice, Jefferson, Sepulveda, Moorpark, Hollywood Way, Laurel Canyon, PCH, and more. Just do it. Do it.

4 comments:

HelenBach said...

Subways rule. Once all of America had a big subway; it was called Amtrak.

RebeccaW said...

They do rule when they are done well. We have one here and my experience with it is quite comparable to Don's. Except ours breaks down constantly. I work 20 miles from my home and it takes me an hour to drive, plus I have to pay $6 to park. The subway takes and hour and a half - unless it breaks down - and costs $8 round-trip, or $12 if I want to park my car at the station. I can walk to the station in 15 minutes. Oh and the other issue - the DC Metro makes me nauseous. Don't know what the diff is w/the NYC Subway, which I could ride comfortably. Bottom line - I usually drive. For some reason, they seem to do this public transportation thing so much better in Europe.

Mr. H.K. said...

I wish they would trash this idea of a Second Avenue subway in Manhattan and buid a cool sleak monorail instead... Digging through the bedrock under Manhattan is a costly and dangerous process....

Why not a Monorail that links to the crosstown buses and subways?

Even as a young child, I could never understand why they abolished street cars... They were cool, too...

HelenBach said...

I've heard tell that the Second Avenue subway may, in fact, be elevated because people are nervous about terrorism and backers are finding more supporters for the "I want to see the bomb clearly through a window so I know what's going on" train of thought (no pun intended).