Thursday, July 13, 2006

Call Me Nellie Forbush

But I have this cockeyed optimistic feeling that my book will be published.
Hell, the first editor is still interested once I get an agent and a hook.

After the despair of a little rejection from some big hitters (with a lot of kind compliments about my writing, but not necessarily the book), I think I just need a good sit down with my manny. I just have to give it the clear-eyed once over with an open mind and just let the editing answer come to me.

Sure, I wrote a memoir with pieces of fiction interweaved and maybe that was a silly idea (though I thought of it as a being constructed like a record album). And I could take out the fiction and leave a straight up memoir and change the title to Open Trench: A Man Abandons Suffern in Search of Fame and Immortality and All He Gets is a Lousy Domestic Partner. A Memoir.
Or just leave it as it is.

But I bet I do a tweaking, settle on a descriptive title and then make sure the pieces relate to the title.

The publishing industry is just as hook obsessed as the film industry. Who knew?
This learning curve, however, is pretty fast. And I feel up to the challenge. Why not?

I think I’ll call my second book something completely unrelated to the pieces within, something like, How to Carve a Beaver.

4 comments:

Don Cummings said...

Nellie Forbush is the main character in South Pacific.
The one who Washed that man right out of her hair.

Rebecca Waring said...

I liked 'rich husband' better than 'lousy domestic partner'. Just a personal perspective ;)

Definitely keep writing no matter what. I have come to the belief that persistence is the #1 criteria in success.

the last noel said...

I could recommend some editors to take a look. Also, UCLA Extension has a manuscript service that has someone who can give you the feedback you may need. It's basically book doctoring. Either way, it costs.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yeah, it's amazing how everythihg is kind of like Hollywood... politics, publishing, film, tv, Broadway, comedy clubs, cooks, lawyers and plastic surgeons.

Keep on plugging, kiddo... You'll find the right place at the right time!