Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Cabin Life

Strangely, living in New York City in a studio apartment, is like a trek back in time. No dishwasher. Laundry in the basement. Not so much space. You know, the rough life.

I wonder why we shy away from small labors. They make you feel very in control of your life.

Though I am completely more comfortable with house living, this small apartment living is worth mentioning. It forces you to be very introspective. Spare. Almost Japanese. I feel less crass, yet oddly downscale, too.

But purer. Closer to the bone.

Am I shallow to respond so much to my surroundings?

Or young.

3 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Funny... As high tech as I am with gadgets... I've never had a washer-dryer or dishwasher in my homes (since I was a kid) and don't even consider it as a trek back in time. Now, no DVR and Google Chrome Browser and I'd feel "old". It's all relative, I guess

Anonymous said...

I think it's called Being Present Where You Are. Mother/Judith

Rebecca Waring said...

I thought I could live in a Yurt, but then I moved to a tiny little city house..... and I'm already thinking about an addition. Stuff expands. If I weren't an artist I could live smaller. I neeeeeeed my canvasses and frames and bits of collage paper and scratch boards and paint and brushes and solvent and gesso and rug-hooking yarn and and and.....where do I hang the coats???