Monday, March 30, 2009

The Coasts

Sometimes, when I am in New York, I do crave California…and mostly, (in addition to my friends---Hi everyone), it is because of the climate. I tell people this in New York, “I really like the weather,” and I hear retorts, “You can’t live somewhere just because of the weather.”

Sure, you can’t. But it’s not just the weather. It’s the plants. The air. The way it all makes you feel. Look at this hill behind Mary’s backyard.

Mary Yard

Now, get off the subway at 75th and Roosevelt Avenue in Queens and walk by this building every day. The only thing that recommends it, at all, is that it is the ugliest building in The United States of America.

Ugliest building on earth

There is a difference. Face it, California (though so marred) has far more natural beauty simply because of its climate.

There is no lack of hideous architecture in California, either. We all know this. But when you can’t take the hideousness another minute, you can find a hillside covered in wild mustard.

Of course, I probably need to get out of Queens…away from tower-o-satellite-dishes, and I will have a change of heart.

2 comments:

Bancha S. said...

I never noticed how ugly that building is. I'm usually more distracted by the "Camera Watch 24 Hours" sign in front of it. = )

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I'm stickin w/ cable!