Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sales Forced

Yesterday, a child came to my door soliciting an LA Times subscription in order for his school to raise money for soccer uniforms. He rattled off his memorized paragraph like an automaton. Poor thing.

I said no, since I already receive the LA Times. He then rattled off his “How about a donation” speech. And I just had to say no again.

For three reasons.

1) I don’t think children should be selling door to door.
2) I hate having to transact on my front porch.
3) Soccer uniforms should be paid for with tax money.

Though I do believe in the free market, I am disgusted that schools do not get the money they need and so children must go begging. It’s terrible. And, it teaches children at a very young age that the collective does not care about them, so they must push for every silly little item in life, including clothing for a game.

This kid was so flat and shut down. Is this what we want? A generation of saleschildren?
Is it not enough that the adults in our culture are all shut down in the name of money? Must we destroy the children now, too?

Or, maybe I’m really off...and we’re doing these children a favor by making them understand that in order to get anything in this life, you have to beg for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the state where I reside, K-12 are funded based on property taxes. Not everyone owns a house or land in Illinois. I think we should base school funding on income tax. So all residents can participate in school funding.

My kids are asked to sell magazine subscriptions. We will not let them alienate our neighbors with door to door. We place orders for ourselves to give our kids support, then it stops there.

As cool as uniforms might be, kids just want to play.

Anonymous said...

Here... we have the M&M salesmen... Usually they buy a box at a deli and sell it a dollar a bag for "school uniforms"...

Life is a scam... Usually.