Friday, April 25, 2008

April 25, 1974

I figured out now that I want a girl. You know what I mean? I sort of like Nancy Haggerty. Her brother’s name is Kevin and Sally likes him. I still love Sherrie. Mommy is going to a wedding so Nanny is babysitting.

We moved to Suffern July 10, 1973 and Sherrie Thompson, one year older than me, lived in Spring Valley, where we lived before the move. I had this endless crush on her, for almost a year, even though it was all fantasy and we never talked too much. It was that exciting time of life when you are heading into sixth grade and you just think, “Well, I’m a man now and life is so pulsing and exciting and I want a hot girl with a lot of personality to add to this cool and happening time. Look how great the evening sky is. Orange and purple. It’s all coming!” We did write letters back and forth. It was five miles away. She was lively, leggy, Jewish and smart. I saw her a few years later and she had become a bit bedraggled. I think people try to smooth out, they try to come back to center. She was full of excitement when she was about twelve years old. Maybe that was too much for her so she found a way to bring herself down.

Nancy Haggerty ended up dating my best friend, Chris Poole. I followed them around like a beagle. Sally, my sister, never did date Nancy’s older brother, Kevin.

I have no idea what wedding my mother was going to and I can only assume my father went, too, since my grandmother stayed with us overnight.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

It's amazing how those words scribbled back in 1973 bring back all that euphoric recall....

I have an old diary around here somewhere, too....

But I'm not sure I want all that euphoric recall from my own 1970s Baltimore.... Scary stuff.