Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Dying Dog Show: Encino

There is only one place to get a special drug for my dying dog. It’s in Encino, a dense suburb about thirty minutes away from Hollywood. This drug is a combination cough suppressant and narcotic. The name of the drugstore is Valley Drug and Compounding. Compounding means this place mixes together their own drugs.

I arrived at 1:30 PM. The West Valley is hot. Felt about one-hundred degrees. Maybe it was ninety-eight. I was extremely hungry. I saw Johnny Rocket’s, in no mood for burgers. I looked across Balboa Boulevard and there, in a strip mall, just north of Ventura Boulevard was Salads Galore . How couldn’t I eat there? I had a spa salad, which was basically a bunch of shredded white meat chicken, grilled red peppers and zucchini over a poured out bag of mixed spring greens. It was fine. The place was lively. Lots of old people in there. Had a deli vibe.

I wiped the balsamic off my bouche and went across the street to the drug store to pick up the doggy pills at Valley Drug and Compounding. The place smelled like a 1970’s main street drug store. Sort of humid and carpety.

There were apothecary bottles on shelves and a very helpful staff who had the pills all ready. Large drug companies are trying to shut down compounded medicine locations. Check it out.
www.savemymedicine.org

These pills work so well for my dog, I really do feel we need to save compounded drugs, even though I didn’t know what they were until today.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

You're a such a good doggy daddy.