Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bon Oscars

What is it about the Oscars? It’s a holiday in Los Angeles. It’s a celebration in New York. It’s a T.V. event elsewhere. It’s a big red carpet deal.

I think it brings out the adolescent in all of us. We all have had times when we were quite popular, on top even (come on, admit it, even if only for a day) and at times when we have come in second (more often than the other) and then there are times when we are completely invisible (like I am, right now, thank goodness because it is 1:58 AM and I am naked and I had garlic for dinner).

And here come the contenders. And they will win for some weird adolescent concoction of looks, tone and vague ability. Lawsy! It’s popularity at its most public. And it does help careers. So why not?

I like the actors(esses) best. They are most suited to TV specials. They gleam, yes?

We all come very much alive when others witness us or at least (and even better) when others engage our better selves.

The Oscars are a celebration of some sort of people-hood, a way of being, a fullness of spirit, tits and cocksuredness, even. We are lucky to have them. They are big monkey mirrors. Pass me a banana and only talk during the commercials!

I have some vicarious aliveness, mixed with envy and a hopeful optimism that, yes, even I could be up there one day, receiving my Oscar in the special category of Writer-Director-Performer of one-man blogger movie musicals based on the life of Shelly Winters if she had been a cult leader.

You never know…

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Not me. I'm going to bed.... Then I'll fast forward through them the day after and watch particular things I heard were good... If anything is... LOL