Thursday, July 14, 2011

GPlus

I love the free market, mostly because it’s pretty creative…even if it is fueled by greed and ego.

But on the receiving end (no jokes here) it really is a messy load to take.

For example, what will happen when we migrate to Google + ? Will some of us go? All of us?

When My Space got funky and abandoned, at least the bands stayed behind. Who will stay behind with Facebook? Chefs? Lepidopterists? Left handed scribers?

Hard to know.

I once kept my hard drive incredibly organized. Oh wait, I still do. However, there is the creeping feeling that so much of what I make is not just living in my box…but is “out there” somewhere. If those “out theres” change a lot, where do I end up? Or, who am I if I am spread out all over the place instead of a in a stack of neat digital files in my computer?

Next---this war-in-my-box between corporations has gotten better, but mostly because we’ve had to come together. Used to be that a hard drive could come to a screeching halt if you had a peripheral plugged in whose software didn’t quite work with your operating system. Or if Microsoft Outlook received an Uuencoded email from an iMac and the next thing you knew, you were looking at a picture that looked like this: 389nej@^^()&*)%*hiij*&(HNOJOU*HIU( etc.

So it was natural that agreed upon coding and protocols would evolve. Because working together works.

It is the greed and ego that create separate languages. And it is necessary. And then it is rearranged or cannibalized or deftly mixed. (The invisible hand and all that…)—and everyone gets a piece (or not) but the essential move is to standardize. This delineate, promote, combine ride is funky. Clearly. But this is how we live.

I like it. Best if the transitions happen quickly, though, so as not to feel so deeply the clunkiness of change. I would love to live 1000 years from now. Why not? Taking super fast rides into more efficient usages? Or will it be more fractured? I think not. I think we will grow very accustomed to the pace---but also understand that the pace is outside of us, so it can accepted as something fascinating and amusing.

Sidebar: Exercise. It’s good for your mood.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Can Facebook and Google+ Coexist?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/235454/can_facebook_and_google_coexist.html#tk.nl_wbx_h_topstory