Tuesday, May 29, 2012

It's Fleet Week and Boy are My Eyes Tired

Fleet week brings a certain flutter to NYC. It always has. No one thinks of war. They just stare and sigh. In my case, I also can't believe the small waist lines. I remember having that sort of thing.

Uniforms are sexy. I guess because they remove personality and showcase simplicity. One can project almost anything onto a form that stands in uniform.

It also feels very old fashioned. This tradition of sailors coming to NYC for much needed R&R on the shores of Manhattan.

My brother was a sailor. On a destroyer. He would have to announce to any visitors, "I cannot confirm or deny there are nuclear weapons on this ship."  Something like that.  Which meant, of course, that there were plenty.

War is ugly. Young men in uniform are not.


No comments: