Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Murder By Choice

Logically, one must turn the following corner.


I have decided that abortion is murder. But I just don't care. I am not being facetious.

A fetus in the late part of the third trimester would certainly die left alone outside the womb.
But also, a newborn baby would certainly die if it were left alone outside the home.
A small child would certainly die if it were left alone in the mountains.

In summary, it is not very hard to kill a child and the exact moment when that child really is an actual child is very hard to pinpoint.

So, abortion is murder. But who really cares?
It's a murder of convenience and I'm all for it.

And that's not even the point I am trying to make.

This is my next point, and I shudder to think that I have turned this corner, but turned it, I have, at least for now on this unusually sultry night with the full moon over Los Angeles.

If abortion is murder, and it seems to me it really is, and I have no qualms about it, then, frankly, I should really have no qualms about the death penalty.

Therefore, if I am pro-choice, then I guess I have to be pro death penalty.
Because honestly, killing criminals is just a murder of convenience, again.


I guess what makes no sense, is to be pro choice and anti-death penalty like most liberals.

And it makes no sense to be pro life and an advocate for the death penalty like most conservatives.

The thinking in both these camps is actually illogical.

Why be fifty percent hypocritical by picking the standard liberal view or the standard conservative view?


So, murder is cool, if it's convenient for a society to enhance efficient operation. Sorry, but this harsh reality seems to be the only rational way to look at it. I have turned this corner.

We, as a society torn in two with liberal and conservative polarities chomping for control over the life wars, have already come to a decision. We do not live within a culture of life. We live within a culture of death. All debates are futile since this culture of death has been adopted and accepted for the convenience of all American citizens. Above all else, Americans are a convenience loving bunch. We kill for convenience. That is our choice. Grisly? Nah.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Just because you decided abortion is murder doesn't make it murder. As you point out, the exact moment of life is hard to define. That's why it's called "pro-choice."

There is no question that executing people is murder. In a legal system that favors individuals based on race and economic class, a death penalty leads to murdering innocent people. Even if we were able to accurately identify the guilty, executing criminals doesn't act as a deterrent. When a government solves society's problems with murder, it's no wonder many of its people solve their problems the same way.

«Que dit la loi? Tu ne tueras pas! Comment le dit-elle? En tuant!» Victor Hugo