Thursday, July 14, 2005

September 20-22, 1974

We went to the Poconos and it was pretty shitty. Oh well goodnight.


We had a weekend house in the Poconos for about three years. In my family, it was not the highlight of anyone’s life. My father thought it would be great for the kids. My mother hated the mountains. My sister and I spent our days trying to find places to smoke cigarettes without getting caught...which was often up on the little balcony off the upstairs loft.
My brother chopped a lot of wood.

We did get to ski there during the winter months. And there were a couple swimming pools, one indoors, and a clubhouse with a huge open fire pit in the middle of a bunch of tables where you could order food. It was fun when we were younger, you know, back in 1972, before the house was built and it was exciting to just visit the land, ski and swim.
As we got into the mid-seventies, my sister and I just wanted to stay home so we could hang out with our friends, smoke pot, drink cheap wine and go see Tommy every Friday night. Eventually, we children (with no protestations from my mother) staged an emotional coup against Pennsylvania. We won and the house was sold.

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I wonder if that house is still there?

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

Anonymous said...

Do you wish you had that house now? You could go there with your friends, smoke pot, drink cheap wine (from Trader Joe's, of course) and watch Tommy on DVD every night!