Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Sonic Boom



*54


This morning at 5:12, I was awakened by what I assumed was an earthquake. There was a huge noise in my backyard that sounded to me as if a 727's waste tank had fallen from the sky and landed on the grass.

The house shook, including the windows. I got out of bed, walked into the office and wrote down on a pad, "Earthquake, 5:12." I always write things down on pads at all times of day...

I went back to bed a bit shaken. Because earthquakes are kind of upsetting.
When my California sanctioned domestic partner, Adam, got out of bed at about 8:30, I asked him, "Honey, look online. It felt like a 5.2"

Though I sleep like the dead...truly, worms eat me while I sleep...I always wake up for oncoming earthquakes. I have some sort of reptilian medulla thing that alerts my cerebral cortex and I become completely alert.

Adam looked online and told me it was the Discovery landing. The sonic boom was my earthquake.

It must be very intense to be in the space shuttle.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Why don't they send an artist or a poet into space? Send someone who can communicate the awesome expanse of the universe. Imagine if Keats could have gone for a space walk.

Isn't that why we are out there - to understand our existence?

Don Cummings said...

Or Chris Tucker from The Fifth Element?

Todd HellsKitchen said...

How cool is that to inately awaken to the quakin'.

If they retire the shuttle that might be the last time that anyone will ever hear the shuttle again...

*Twilight Zone Theme here*

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog