Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Focus on Rebecca

I must bring your attention to Rebecca Waring, my Recognized-by-the-State-of-California-Domestic-Partner-in-law.

She has chucked the corporate world (almost--leaving a toe in it enough to live by) and she is taking up art, full time. Rebecca lives in Rockville, Maryland, just outside of our nation's capitol. In the middle of art classes, having taken art classes and looking to take more, she is in one of those mid-life turns that can only be applauded. Look at this self-portrait!

It reminds me of a Joni Mitchell album cover. And we all know how much I love Joni. The technique is soft and strong. It is unabashedly human with no apologies. Honest. Honest. Honest. What is so striking about this self-portrait, to me, is the expression. It is both sad and oddly intrepid. The intrepid part of it makes me feel ready to take on anything. It doesn't hurt that this woman is so attractive, either. Glad I got my hands on the male version!




Rebecca is also quite a blogger. As a youth in the late 1970's, she traveled to Japan and Europe and lived in New York City and. She did this on her own steam and landed on many funky and fun magazine covers. If you have not yet read her entries, do click over to her blog and start at the first installation (Previous Posts, right column) and work your way up. It's an amazing story. And today, it came to its natural end. A must read.


Courage is Found in Unlikely Places

1 comment:

Rebecca Waring said...

Aw shucks, Don - thank you!!!! You inspired me. I'm so glad you got your hands on the male version too.