Monday, August 28, 2006

Join Freecycle Today

Join Freecycle Today and help the planet even more than you already are! It’s so cool. (Thanks Jeff)

www.freecycle.org

From their site:

What Freecycle is about:

It is about keeping things out of the landfill.
It IS about giving away something that has no use in our life anymore to someone who could extend its usefulness a little longer.
It IS about giving gifts to people while clearing out our own clutter.
It IS about creating, building, and sustaining an environmentally aware community.
Offering Items We No Longer Need to Those Who Need Them



I’m all for this. Often, people scratch their heads in wonder when they see me driving my 1992 Geo Prizm with 147,000 miles on it with no end in sight. But my feeling is, the beast gets good gas mileage, I try to drive as little as possible, I park it on the road so why not have a heap, and the energy to build a Prius has to be more than the gas I would save by exchanging this perfectly good car for a new, more efficient one. Though, I don’t know how I could run the math on that one.

Until further notice, I’ll drive my bomber. And when I’m done because they’ve come out with a car that runs on waste, I’ll either drive the sweet old thing down the Baja and hand the keys over to someone who needs it and take a plane home. Or, I’ll list it on Freecycle.org. Let someone enjoy another 100,000 miles.

Send your totally good stuff out to those who want it. Slow down the economy. Be thrifty. Give to those who would appreciate your old gift.

It’s a good world. There’s just a whole lot of people who need to know more things about it.


www.freecycle.org

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I'm all for this...

After seeing the Gore movie this weekend, I'm working on trying to get my personal Carbon Emmission rating to zero....

If I had a car, I'd give it away!

Heather said...

I love Freecycle! We've gotten rid of so much stuff. It's crazy what people want. We've gotten rid of a laundry basket, old windows, a futon mattress, and an upright piano to name a few items. I had a lady scheduled to pick up a garbage can at 1pm. At 9 am she drove by to make sure she had the right address. She said God would bless me for my generousity. I was glad to get it out of my garage!