Thursday, February 22, 2007

Go to Paris

I took my nephew to Paris because he is turning seventeen in two weeks. I went to Europe for the first time at sixteen (Paris) and then again at seventeen (Italy). Those experiences were invaluable in expanding my world view. And, the food was good and everything was so pretty.

Still is.

My sharp, droll nephew proved to be great company. He is easy going about food (does not have to have three normal meals each day) and he can walk for miles on end without complaint. I also had two old friends who were in Paris, friends from my childhood trip, and we spent a little time with them, too, which broke things up and rounded out the experience. But mostly, it was Daniel and I pounding the streets of Paris.

I recommend going to Paris in February. We had cool, spring weather. We were able to walk at length without having to fight any heat. And though there were certainly tourists, it was not thronged.

This is the thing about Paris. Sure, it's a cliché, but it truly IS the most beautiful city. I have not been to Tokyo or Winnipeg. But I do think Paris would still hold this title in my mind even if I had seen those cities.

The French take great care of everything. There is money in the budget for maintenance. They continue to expand an already huge public transportation system. There were fewer cars there than twenty years ago. The air was extremely fresh and clean. The exhibition rooms at the Louvre have expanded. Brasserie Bofinger still serves up an amazing dish of choucroute garni. Street crepes (simple--with just sucre) are as tasty and easy as they ever were. The architecture: sublime.
Our hotel rooms were in the Fifth with a view to Notre Dame. The French seemed more friendly than I remember from any other trip. People there seem very relaxed and happy. My nephew was amazed at how happy old people were. He said he'd never met a happy old person in the U.S.

You get this sense in France that everything is catalogued, measured and cared for. You also get this sense in France of a certain cultural and politcal oppression.
Is the physical beauty and the moment-to-moment happiness worth having to endure the controlling culture? I'd say yes. Go see for yourself.

2 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

I've been to Tokyo. Paris wins, hands down. It really is the most magical place I've ever been. You are such a wonderful uncle! Daniel will remember this for the rest of his life. Glad you had a good time. Made me want to go back......

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Glad you and the nephew had a blast!