Friday, June 01, 2007

Greed, Fear and Just Being Here

Isn’t it all just fear? This greed?

If this was truly a “Christian” nation—

Okay, scratch that---

If this was truly an evolved place, wouldn’t we just have it set up so people are safe
and their health care was in place?

The fear, the fear, the fear.

And the bullies, the bullies who use that fear to scramble and control most of the population. And people do it! Hey, nothing wrong with having an occupation. That’s lovely. But shouldn’t it be a little flexi? With all this technology on earth, couldn’t people work a little less, live a little more? Do what they want to do while still putting in their time, being responsible citizens? The truth is, the more people work, the more wealth there is. The more wealth, well, the more expensive things become. Hard to get ahead.
And then there’s all that fear...gluing people in.

I hear things like, “I want to do that but I never could. It’s too expensive.”

Or

“But what if something awful happens?”

Or

“I’m going to work real hard until I’m fifty-five, retire early, and then do what I want to do.”-- But honey, then you’ll be fifty-five.

Or

“I’m doing it for my children.”

Or

“I just hate those damn terrorists in Iraq and the Republicans are going to get rid of them for me, so I can sleep well at night.” ---The Republicans created them to scare you!

Fear, fear, more fear and fear some more.

Fear is a grabby gus. It grabs at you. It grabs at material goods. It just keeps grabbing and grabbing as it goes down kicking and screaming.

No more fear.

And the next time a quaking waif on a ski life wants me to acknowledge how sad and bad the world is and the bottomless goodness of Jesus Christ, I will. And then I’ll simply ask her, “Instead of loving Jesus so much, why don’t you just love me?” Or is that too scary?

2 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

I love that last line. Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Oh, to be fifty-five again!