Thursday, July 19, 2007

The List

I have much to sell.

I have three plays, a book, three television pilots and a movie in various stages of being marketed.

No kidding.

I wrote all this stuff. And while I’ve been writing, I have also been taking meetings, pushing my stuff around, on both coasts. But then, after the phone calls and the iced teas, I just get back to writing. Writing. Writing.

I have this feeling that something is about to sell. Then, maybe more things will sell because of that thing selling.

It’s like those musicians who have three hundred songs, ready to go.

The limiting factor in creativity is usually not the creative, it’s finding an audience. Often, one is made fun of for the hubris of fathoming an audience exists.

I think creative people actually create the audience, too. Not being far fetched here. The painter lets people know that they need to take a look at the world in a different way. The painter creates viewers. From mere mortals.

It is an ego thing. It is also childish. Grown-up, self-involved children push forward the culture. Of course they do.

3 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

That is SO amazing! The fact that you are writing so much. I think that's the hardest part. Not the selling, but just putting in the time. Putting one's ass in the chair (or studio or whatever). Of course something will sell! I feel the energy.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Keep on keepin on!

the last noel said...

There will come a time when people will comment that you're so productive. In reality, it'll just be your backlog of work finally seeing the light of day. Go, go, go!