Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Mighty Heart

Don’t kill yourself (or cut off your own head) to go see it. But, this is the first movie I’ve seen that really hit home how radical Islam works. There are these men who just need to be awful. And they are. Lying. Tribal. Filled with sick pride.

The critics have gushed over Angelina Jolie, as Mariane Pearl, remarking that she does all this stuff to find out what happened to her husband. But really, she just walks around her nice apartment in Karachi looking concerned. She does have the big emotional moment when she finds out that her husband has been beheaded. But it’s overdone. Ah.

The star of the movie is the Captain, played by Irrfan Khan. The actor is incredible. He plays it real, close, without gilding. Fine stuff. Very active.

The nature of this story reminds me of the war games of my youth. My brother often wanted to play Cops and Robbers, Roman Warriors, Cowboys and Indians, etc. I did not have much interest, though I did like fashioning fake knives by rubbing sticks against concrete until they were sanded into points. But really, so many kids were able to play these games of simplistic good and evil. I just didn’t get it. But watching this movie, I kind of got it. Maybe there is a place for black and white thinking---especially if you are dealing with people who take joyful vengeance in hacking up journalists.

Karachi looks like an awful, unpleasant zoo.

What a world.

A Mighty Heart

2 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

I feel like I hate those people but there are hoodlums just like them right here in Baltimore. I hear about them killing, killing every night on the news. I hate them too. At least I'm fair.

Bancha S. said...

That looks like an interesting flick.

Honestly, as with all social groups, I'm quite interested in seeing the other side.

Though evil is evil, and justice must be served, it's also important to understand where the other person is coming from, the motivations behind the actions, especially in political crimes.

By the way, if you wouldn't mind a more direct dialogue, I'm at djslimjim@excite.com.

-Neighbor B.